Thursday 8 October 2020

Why, for me, it is Netanyahu only

 



“How is it possible that an intelligent woman, such as you, “votes for Netanyahu?” asked me one of my “enlightened” friends.

“The answer is in your question and in one word, 'intelligent,'" I answered, without flinching.

Allow me to take you back in time to 1977, the year Likud took over. At that time, I lived in the US. I was young dreamer, a student at Berkeley, one who wanted to be a pioneer in making the world a better place. In short, I was a leftist.

After the waves of the initial shock which resulted from that election have subsided, I started to ask, “How did we lose that campaign?”

When I sobered up, I asked, “Why did the Likud win?”

It took me but a short while to realize where I went wrong. Most of the those who voted for Likud in that year, originated from the same countries that wish to bring our demise. Those voters and their parents lived amid dwellers of these countries, some of whom still loath us deeply.
 

Immigrants from Arab/Muslim countries have mastered the frame of mind and modus operandi of their neighbours in those countries. Most importantly, they knew best how to stand up to them and what it might take to overcome them. I, a daughter of two parents from Eastern Europe, was clueless on the subject.

Since that day, I am a proud Likudnik.

With your permission, I wish to get back to the titular subject, “Why Netanyahu?”

In our complex world, everything is relative. In order to grasp the subject of relativity, one needs to go through similar experiences in order to establish a firm opinion, and as much as possible, an objective one regarding those encounters.

As some of you know, I have lived in several countries, all democracies. Their leaders all had, of course, the same declared goal, to ensure the health and safety of their citizens. In each of the countries that I lived in, I was involved, through my work or other associations, with members of the government and other agencies, in one way or another.

I followed these leaders very closely and learned to know some of them very well.

I saw leaders who, through failed policies, destroyed their countries. On the other hand, I experienced leaders who through the wisdom of their hearts rebuilt it and turned them into superpower. I also witnessed insignificant politicians using the system for their own benefit either through a populist approach or contributing to vain hatred. At the same time, I saw monumental leaders whose guiding light was the benefit and well-being of their nation.

So, please believe me, the yard stick, the instrument of comparison, which I built over the years, has helped me immensely, especially these days. It allows me to recognize the best, relative to others that resemble each other in look and essence and are clustered together in one group, nations with a democratic core.

Netanyahu stands out among these leaders. He is a responsible prime minister. He is a devoted Zionist, loves his People, is aware of their sanguineous history and, in my view, it is the care for his People and its future is the seminal factor that sparks him every single day.

So, I will continue to support him!

If I were to summarize the essence of this article, it will say that the 1977 change of government has made me a Likudnik. Life in various foreign democracies and the way their leaders conduct themselves, is what has made me a staunch supporter of Netanyahu.

Strengthening your hand, my Prime Minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment