Saturday 16 March 2024

The Good Doctor


 

As some of you might know, I have recently returned from an amazing expedition to Antarctica. The expedition lasted three weeks, an adventure that deserves an article dedicated solely to recounting and sharing that great experience.

Our port of departure on that sunny afternoon on December 31, 2023, was Ushuaia, Argentina, the world’s southernmost city.

As we were making our way to the open horizon over the Pacific Ocean in the festive atmosphere, I decided to go to my cabin and stay there since I celebrate only one new year, the Jewish one. Negotiating one’s way on a new, unfamiliar and anything but a luxuriant vessel can be, as I found out, quite challenging.

At one point, I tripped and hit my head on the stairs. There was no one near me. Fortunately, I did not lose consciousness, but it took me a minute or so to regain my balance. When I got to the cabin, I saw that I was bleeding from a deep cut in my eyelid.

Without any hesitation, I went to reception and asked to see the ship’s doctor. “I am going to be ok,” I kept telling myself as I was about to enter the doctor’s clinic.

Dr. Marvin Armando Gutierrez Lopez, better known as “Dr. Marvin,” and his caring nurse, Lally, were, fortunately, both there.

Naturally, I wanted to learn more about the person in whose hands I was going to put my trust and care. “I am from Guatemala,” he said in response to my question. “And where did you study medicine?” I persisted. “In Cuba,” came the comforting answer.

Let me explain.

As someone who has been to Cuba and has had experience in the health care industry, mainly in the U.S., I had been exposed to the country’s renowned healthcare system. In Cuba healthcare is a basic right and is available, free of charge to all Cubans. The country has been credited with some notable achievements such as increasing life expectancy and eradicating many diseases.

I felt more at ease.

“Do I need to be concerned, doctor?” I carried on with my interrogation.

“Let me ask you,” he responded, noticing my anxiety, “do you feel nauseous, have a headache and experience double vision?”

“No, to all three,” I said, somewhat relieved.

 “Then let me stitch your eyelid and monitor you for at least forty-eight hours to make sure that all is well,” he continued as I was making myself comfortable on the small bed situated in the ship’s clinic.

The following day, I met the expedition’s doctor, a lovely American lady. She had heard from Dr. Marvin about my case and suggested that I have an MRI at the Stanley hospital in the Falkland Islands. That, according to her, would have meant that I must stay there for three days, at least, as the results are interpreted in England.

“Does that mean I will have to miss the rest of the expedition?” I asked as panic spread through my essence.

“I afraid so,” she responded in a serious expression.

“Dr. Marvin, do you agree with the expedition’s doctor?” I asked him when I visited him the following day as he was examining my stiches.

“I don’t think so,” came his calming answer. “You seem to be fine.” His composed and reassuring demeanour infused me with hope. I decided to put my fate in his hands and the hands of his sweet and beautiful nurse, Lally.

From then on, I visited his clinic every day. We had long conversations where he shared with me parts of his life.  He was orphaned from his father at an early age and was obliged to join the labour force to help support his family. Through his mother, who worked in a local hospital as a nurse, he was assigned the task of mopping the hospital’s floors. His mother’s dream was to see him, eventually, become a doctor.

The opportunity to realize his mother’s wish presented itself in 1998. That year, Guatemala was hit by, “Mitch,” a devastating hurricane. Cuba, along with other countries, mounted relief efforts and sent aid along with medical personnel to the affected areas. The devastating results of this natural disaster brought to light the unsettled health care system in the region. In an effort to overcome these discrepancies, Cuba launched its most ambitious international programme, “The Latin American Medical School,” as part of the broader “Comprehensive Health Program.”



Dr. Marvin decided to move to Cuba where, in the course of time, he earned his medical degree.

During my daily visits to the clinic, I also shared with him and his nurse some facts about Yisrael and her achievements and successes, despite the harsh reality we experience here. They welcomed my extended invitation to come and visit my homeland.

Dr. Marvin also shared with me that, at some point, he intends to return to Guatemala, where he would love to continue to practice medicine. He also plans to buy a plot of land, one day, which he hopes to turn into a cocoa plantation and produce chocolate. “In addition to making people’s lives healthier,” he told me with a big smile, “I also want to make them sweeter.”

What an amazing man!

I hope you will all join me in wishing Dr. Marvin the best of luck and every blessing with his future undertakings.

Shavua tov.


No comments:

Post a Comment